Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Sevens

A very good reason why you should not go to the Sevens
In Wellywood it is that time of year again - the Sevens! Well, really the biggest fancy-dress party in the southern hemisphere which tries very hard to pass itself off as a Sevens Rugby tournament has just come to an end.  Did I go to the Cake Tin? No.  I watched a few games from the comfort and (judging from the behaviour of some of the more intoxicated Sevens fans) safety of my living room.  We are hosting a couple of guys from Sydney (the husband's nephew and his mate) who are having a great time soaking up the atmosphere of the sevens.

The last time I was at the sevens was when I was working there in the worst job ever - alcohol police. It was a fundraising gig and we were posted to the bars around the concourse to keep an eye on people to make sure that they were not underage and to make sure that nobody sold to obviously drunk patrons.  I had to check the I.D of anyone who looked as if they could be under the age of 18.  One guy who I was sure looked like he was only 16 or 17 years old was floored when I asked for his I.D - turns out he was 32 years old.  I gave myself a mental note to get my eyes tested the following week.  I asked a couple of girls for their I.D as well and they were thrilled because they were 28 and 30 year olds - they must've been wearing 'Thin Lizzie" or something because they did look pretty young damn them! lol.

The one thing I do love about the Sevens is the creative costumes that people turn up with.  The Stuff website www.stuff.co.nz usually has a good gallery of Sevens costumes.  The creepiest costume this year that I saw on the telly and internet were the 'Big Babies' - CREEPY!  The best were definitely the Lego People.  I was glad to hear that they won $10k for best costume.  Worst thing to happen this year was when one of the Manu Samoa guys was assaulted during a match by a stripey undied idiot or 'fecking eejit' (as Marian Keyes would've described him).  He has been banned from the stadium for 2 years for his trouble.  How will they know it's him next year?  He will probably walk in wearing some costume and loads of face paint so they won't even know that he is back - until he runs back on the field and high tackles some poor player again.
The Creepy Babies

Toy soldiers with Katy Perry wannabes


Lego Peeps

3 comments:

  1. seki a - am loving the costumes....who cares about the game, heheh (sore loser much? haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ga la - faakoa kakou care i le game pe a malo le kakou au. Sa kakau oga e lele mai lalo i Welly se'i ka'u le sese a le au fia Katy Perry ia feoa'i solo iigei.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second year living in Welly, second year of not buying tickets and then totally regretting it, because when the 7's comes to town there's nothing like it!
    New goals for this year:
    1. starve to squeeze into a hot costume
    2. buy some tickets!

    See you there? :)

    ReplyDelete

Faaali sou manatu