Being a parent is THE hardest job in the world. Well, of course I would say that being a mother of three energetic and strong-willed children. In the days before children (BC) I can honestly say that I was not the type of person who dreamed of having any. I liked little kids and adored babies but was always happy to return them to their parents. I am sure that I did not have a maternal bone in my body but now, every bone in my body is definitely maternal. What can I say? The mothering instinct didn't kick in until I gave birth - well, better late than never!
Watching the television show, 'World's Strictest Parents' makes me think about my parenting skills a lot. If I don't want my kids to turn out like the foul-mouthed, rude, drink and drug abusing, lazy, and plain rude teens featured on this show, then I need to step up my game when it comes to parenting. I need to be really firm but fair, strict but flexible at the same time, be a mother not a friend. When my kids tell me that I am funny, I feel slightly uncomfortable because to me, 'funny' means 'weak' and must mean that I am not being strict enough and that I am a pushover. For the sake of the future of my children, I will now be their worst nightmare but their biggest supporter. I will give orders and not requests. I have very few memories of having fun times with my mother but boy did I (and still do) respect her! As an adult and especially as a mother, I finally understand my parents and why they sometimes stopped me from going out places as a teen and from hanging out with certain people. At the time, I just thought that they didn't want me to have a life but now I look back and thank God that I had parents who cared about me enough to protect me from myself (especially in those teen years).
Okay, now it's my turn - no more Mrs Nice Mum (well, unless they're sick or a birthday). I hate playing 'Bad Cop' but if I don't, I may find myself contacting 'World's strictest Parents' show to get my kids on because I let them do whatever they wanted growing up. Now that is something I don't want to have to do.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Faaali sou manatu