Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas report 2011


Christmas is officially over.  I was planning on writing up an actual Christmas Day post but the richness of the traditional Christmas toonai had other plans in mind.  Plans which involved the author falling into a carbohydrate and sugar induced coma and not getting up until after midnight, hence the Boxing Day report of what is now known as 'Christmas past'.

Christmas officially started with the lotu at my parents' place just before midnight on Christmas eve.  We exchanged gifts after the lotu and had our ipu ti and just had a bit of chitchat before going home to collapse from exhaustion. I am happy to report that Christmas greeting displays of affection were reserved only for those nearest and dearest to me.  Acquaintances were greeted with a hearty handshake and sometimes a 'Merry  Christmas' shouted from across the road to cut down on any need for physical contact.

After our Christmas service at church, it was time to head on into Wellington for the extended family toonai.  What was on the menu? Oka, sua i'a, taro, bananas, mussels, sapasui, ham, green salads, seafood pasta salad and chicken with steamed pudding with custard and cakes for dessert.  It was a beautiful lunch. After lunch some went out to one of the local beaches while others stayed on to chat over a cuppa.  We got home around 8pm and it was lights out at 10pm - very happy but physically exhausted.

I received an email from one of my sisters-in-law a few days before Christmas - one of those emails that emotionally blackmails you into forwarding them on to all your family and friends.  What really grabbed my attention was the headline - Brain Damaging Habits.  I mean, who wants brain damage? No, not I, so I read on.  What the email contained was not pretty. Not only did it list the top 10 brain damaging habits, it also listed 'The main causes of liver damage' and 'The top 5 cancer causing foods'.  Yep, all before Christmas. So, what was on the list? Drum roll please...

1.  No breakfast - people who do not eat breakfast have a lower blood sugar level which can lead to brain degeneration.
2.  Overeating - causes hardening of the brain arteries leading to a decrease in mental powers
3.  Smoking - causes your brain to shrink and may lead to Alzheimers disease
4.  High sugar consumption - interrupts the absorption of proteins and nutrients and may interfere with brain development
5.  Air Pollution - inhaling polluted air decreases the supply of oxygen to the brain decreasing brain efficiency
6.  Sleep deprivation - long term sleep deprivation will accelerate the death of brain cells
7.  Head covered while sleeping - increases the concentration of carbon dioxide which may lead to brain damaging effects.
8.  Working your brain during illness - working or studying during illness may lead to a decrease in effectiveness of the brain and may damage the brain
9.  Lacking in stimulating thoughts - thinking is the best way to train our brain, lack of brain stimulating thoughts may cause brain shrinkage
10. Talking rarely - intellectual conversations will promote the efficiency of the brain

Okay, it's pretty safe to say that I am probably guilty of all of the above - some more than others. I mean, honestly who hasn't worked or studied through an illness? No wonder why I couldn't get my readings done this time last year when I was pregnant with Baby number 3 and as a mother you have to work through illnesses because who is going to do these jobs for you? NOBODY, that's who.  As for Overeating and High sugar consumption? It's Christmas time, the house is full of chocolate and cookies - what do you expect? Thank goodness I don't smoke so that's one thing I don't have to worry about quitting.  I will always be grateful for the fact that I decided to try smoking when I was seven years old because the experience put me off smoking for LIFE.  Nothing like the feeling that you have swallowed the contents of an ashtray to stop you from ever wanting to try cigarettes again. Air pollution? We may as well stop breathing - there's pollution everywhere! Talking rarely and thinking? I think I do enough of both each day - and can you ever stop thinking? I suppose the list is talking about actually thinking about challenging things, not the random thoughts that float through your head and end up on your blog.

Okay, Christmas has come and gone - Happy birthday Lord Jesus! I am grateful for all my blessings.  Thankful to have wonderful friends and family and thankful that we can spend time together on this special day.  I am grateful that I have a wonderful sister in-law who cares enough to send me an email telling me to have breakfast, cut down on the food intake, cut out sugar, never smoke again, get to bed at a decent hour and when I sleep to keep my head uncovered.  I am grateful that I now know that working or studying during illness can cause brain damage (a bit too late for me really).  Last but not least, I am thankful that someone actually thinks that I should talk and think stimulating thoughts a lot more to try to stop my brain from shrinking.

Well, I have definitely had a whole heap of advice given to me this Christmas - the gift of knowledge I suppose. What's the best or worst advice or gift you received this Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faaali sou manatu