Sunday, December 9, 2012

Bah Humbug

I am a victim of crime.  I may be partly to blame for the fact that my vehicle was unlocked (I was not the last one to leave the vehicle though but I should have gone back to check that it was secure before I went to bed).  Some bugger stole my purse and work laptop out of my vehicle which was parked inside my property on the driveway.  I didn't even notice that my belongings were gone until after work that day.  I got home and was greeted by the sight of my handback hanging on the handle of my front door!  It was empty except for a letter from the bank with my address on it. So now, not only does someone have my purse with my ID and bank cards etc.. in it but they also know my bank account details.  I think that maybe someone found my handbag on the street and returned it to my house after finding the letter inside.  I can't really see someone rummaging through my bag and then hanging it back nicely on the front door. 

I rang 111 (for the first time in my life) and reported the theft and after getting a reference number and a promise that someone would call me, I marched down to our local Police station to file my report in person.  Big mistake.  The officer who came out (after twenty minutes of waiting) took the reference number and said that he would check the details.  He came back out and said that there was nothing on the system.  He told me that someone would come out to talk to me and would get me to fill out some forms etc... Half an hour later, another nice young police officer came out, asked for my details which he wrote on a post-it note and then said, "We'll call you if we find anything".  He didn't ask me to fill out a form or anything.  I went home, thought about it a bit and realised that he had just fobbed me off with that post-it note.  I bet that he just dropped that note into the bin as soon as I walked out the door.  I went back to the station the next day with the serial number of the laptop and other details and asked for a form to fill in.  I asked the officer at the desk why I hadn't been given one the day before and he just said, "Well, you're here now so just fill out the form" - how rude! Honestly, they don't give a damn.  My confidence in the police has reached an all time low.  I am just glad that it wasn't anything more serious.  Who can you trust these days?  Nobody.  Bah humbug I say.

1 comment:

Faaali sou manatu