Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy new year!

It's the first day of 2012.  A wonderful time of fresh starts and new beginnings but before we move forward into the new year, we should also look back at the year we have just left behind.

2011 - what a year we have just had!  On a national level we had the tragedy of the Christchurch earthquake in February, with hundreds of lives lost, homes damaged, loss of infrastructure and lives thrown into turmoil. A number of natural disasters happened around the world with flooding, earthquakes and tsunamis destroying so many lives, businesses and more.  On a personal note, this year we lost a very popular, well-loved and  highly respected member of our family who was also a leader in the Christchurch community.  New Zealand voted and the National Government is now in for another term - whether that is a good thing remains to be seen.

Some great things have happened this year too, the four best moments of this year would have to be (for me personally) having my beautiful baby boy on the 14th of February - my very own Valentine's Day gift, completing my Master's degree and celebrating our (the husband and I) tenth wedding anniversary.  Oh, I tell a lie - I had five best moments in 2011.  The fifth moment was when I parallel parked perfectly twice in one day - a true miracle if you have ever seen me try to parallel park before.

What else happened in 2011? The All Blacks won the Rugby World Cup at long last and secured Captain Richie McCaw the offer of a knighthood (which he wisely turned down as he is still a young fella and still running around on the paddock), Manu Samoa captain Mahonri Schwalger opened a huge can of worms when he made public how kaea their management team were during the RWC and Tusi Tamasese's film 'The Orator: O le Tulafale' was nominated as NZ's foreign film entry for the Academy Awards - go Saili!  In the 'Very interesting' category would be Samoa's move across the International Dateline to share the same dates as New Zealand and Australia for 'business' purposes.  I hear that Tuilaepa wants to change Samoa's national flag this year - umm... seems to be a theme going on with Tuilaepa:


  • switch to RHD in 2009 - check
  • move ahead by 23 hours to match NZ and Australia - check
  • National flag to be changed - ???? (I think he's going to have a battle on his hands for real with this one)
Well, what can you say? Tuilaepa is a man of progress, innovation and 'No Fefe' when it comes to change - I should take a leaf out of his book actually.  The man knows how to get things done ( and no, I am not related to Tuilaepa or any HRPP MPs). 

I've had family members move overseas, get married, have babies and go through so many changes in 2011.  I have been truly blessed in 2011 to have great family, amazing friends and so many opportunities available to me.  As I sit here typing this on a peaceful Sunday morning, I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead for me.  I have not made any resolutions this year as I normally do every New Year's eve.  Resolutions are just that - a promise to do something, to be determined to do something.  I have a few key goals I have set for myself because goals are defined as things you hope to achieve, that you plan to achieve. I definitely have very specific goals I want to achieve this year and I plan to make the most of any opportunity I am given in 2012.  What about you? How do you feel about this new year and do you have resolutions or goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faaali sou manatu