Monday, January 2, 2012

Goals for 2012 - Take 2, Action!



Uh, oh.  That dreaded time of the year when I announce to the world (but really, to the two people that follow this blog) my goals for 2012.  Now, I have two choices here:

  1. I can set these goals and then after Christmas 2012, go back and read these and proudly say that I have actually met my goals OR 
  2. Review my goals for 2012 on Boxing Day and then roll on the floor laughing hysterically at myself for even thinking that I could have achieved them. 
Okay, so I have to think very hard now. Very hard indeed about my goals for 2012. 

In 2010, I went to a seminar on setting and achieving goals by a goal-setting expert named John Shackleton.  His advice was very simple and straightforward:


  1. Set S.M.A.R.T goals. 
  2.  Make sure that for each goal, you have a consequence and a reward.  Why both? Well, it's all about motivation - pleasure or pain.  Everyone in the world is motivated by either pain or pleasure so you have to choose the ones that you know will make you achieve.  At the seminar, we all had to set one goal which we wanted to achieve in 10 weeks with a specific reward for meeting the goal and a consequence for not achieving it.  The real motivating factor here was that we had to share our goal with everyone.  That's right. None of this keeping it to yourself business.  Everyone who contributed saw your name, your goal and your consequences and rewards. Yep. Those who wanted to lose weight put down consequences like walking around their workplace in their swimsuits, putting their worst 'fat' photos on Facebook, no wine or chocolates for 3 months and even one brave soul who vowed to streak through our local shopping mall if he didn't meet his goal - now if that isn't motivation, I don't know what is.  So, the 'A' for attainable can also be 'A' for 'accountable'.  
  3. Break the actions that you need to take into weekly segments. Ask yourself everyday - What am I going to do in the next 24 hours that will take me closer to my goal?
  4. Report back to those you are accountable to (and while we are on that topic - the more people you tell the better because you'll have everyone either encouraging you or giving you a hard time about your goals) You also have to tell those people the rewards and consequences as well so that they can threaten or bribe you (this totally depends on their nature of course and how well they know you).  I remember when I was studying towards my first degree, I told everyone at work that I wouldn't be able to work on December 10th that year because I would be graduating that day.  I busted my guts finishing off my assignments for my last paper because I knew that if I didn't pass, I would be at work doing my usual, same old, same old that day while everyone I worked with watched the graduation parade go pass without me.  Oh, the shame! That was such a motivational factor for me.  
So, what are my goals for 2012? At the moment, I have only 2 main ones so here goes.  Drum roll please...  



Goal
Reward
Consequence of not achieving my goal
To drop 3 dress sizes by October 1st 2012.
Buy myself a whole new wardrobe without guilt (because I will have to!)
To sell my personal library collection (4 book cases worth) on Trademe for $1 reserve. 
To get a B+ (or better) grade for the 2 papers I am taking this year. Results due in July/Aug and November.
Go watch a movie at Reading Cinemas in town Gold Lounge (after each paper is completed) OR go have a massage and get pedicure, manicure and facial done at my favourite beauty salon.
Volunteer to take on all lawnmowing and wood-chopping and stacking duties at home for the year! Also, cancel any study plans for 2013.

    Please note: I am sharing these goals and rewards and consequences with my family as well.  The more the merrier. I must be crazy but this is definitely going to make me work!  So, tell me - what are your goals for this year? Would you tell anyone your goals as well as your rewards and consequences?



2 comments:

  1. Love the goal setting info! They told me the same thing on Jenny Craig, which was such a revelation for a fluffy-goal setter like me. Lol

    All the best for the new year! And good on you for being brave enough to post the specifics. (I have the same detail for my goals, but wimped out of blogging them. Eek)

    Here's to 2012! And to us looking back on these posts on 31st December 2012 and thinking, "We did good."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Bina, I am indeed 'brave'hehe. If you look at the title of this post, it includes the phrase 'Take 2 - action' because I irst published the post without actually sharing my goals. I was like, 'Hell,no! I am not putting them out there for the world to see' but then later I thought 'What the hell' and updated my post adding those 2 goals. I'll do anything to motivate myself this year - sick of being a New Years resolution-breaker lol. Here's to us and to having no regrets come 31st of December 2012.

    ReplyDelete

Faaali sou manatu