Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First step


I have finally taken the first step into the unknown.  I have been approached by a few people since the end of last year to present a workshop at a national conference.  My first response was to think about what I usually do at these conferences which is to rock up to any interesting sounding workshops, take notes, go listen to keynote speakers, network around the tables at morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner and then sleep very, very late at night after catching up with friends and colleagues.  I thought about how poised and articulate all the speakers usually are and then I thought about myself and was like - "Nah - that's definitely not me.  I'll just stick to my normal, safe, anonymous routine at this upcoming conference - just play it safe and be another face in the room. Another bum on a seat."  So why did I just send off a proposal stating that I will be holding a workshop at this conference?

This is why.  I am going to be presenting a workshop on something I am very passionate about.  I will be the first to tell you that I am definitely not an expert on what I am going to talk about but I know enough to be able to share what I know with others.  I feel that this information I have will be useful to others and will enable others to make a difference. I have never presented at a conference in my life and so this is for me, a huge first step.  Now all I can do is prepare and pray that I don't fall flat on my face or my arse when the time comes.  I am seizing this opportunity so that I don't have to look back one day and think, "If only I had presented at that conference way back in 2012.."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faaali sou manatu