Forgive me 'Anonymous-people-who-stumble-across-this-blog' for I have sinned. Well, I suppose it's not a real 'sin' as in 'going straight to hell' sin but I have done what I said I wouldn't do. To cut a long, long, boring blog post short - I went back on Facebook. Yes, I did indeed. I went on even though I wrote that I wouldn't because I wanted to actually make contact with people in the real world (If you don't believe me, read my shameful post from the 9th of January 2012)
Why did I log back on Fb? Gosh, I have a gazillion and one reasons why I went on e.g To catch up with my brother who lives in Perth because I don't have his phone number or an email address to keep in touch with him, to drop messages to other people whose numbers I don't have and dang it, because it's way cheaper chatting to people on Fb (if they happen to be on at the same time as you) than it is to phone them! I can't believe I have lasted this long and I will most probably be deactivating sometime soon but in the meantime, I am going to gather all the emails, phone numbers and addresses that I can while I am on. I have noticed that some of my cuzzies are not on anymore - they have probably taken a leave of absence from Facebook as well.
So, what's the verdict? Nothing much has changed on Facebook - still lots of people being random, still lots of people updating statuses trashing their husbands, wives, partners and then going back deleting their old posts once they have made up or split. Facebook is great at letting you express yourself - as long as you remember that the whole FB world has access to your expressions and may use them against you in a court of law some day.
Will I stay on? Hmmm.. maybe or maybe not. Whatever I do, I am still going to do my best to catch up with people in 'real time' but it's pretty bloody hard when people keep cancelling on you when you go to the trouble of setting up catch up coffees, lunches etc... Family is family - nothing is going to change that so it doesn't matter if you don't want to be related to people, they will still be family but if you have a friend who cancels on you time after time, year after year (when you live in same city) then he or she is most probably not a friend anymore. I have started examining my Fb friends list and if there is anyone I haven't seen or heard from in the last year will just be deleted. I won't miss them and they definitely won't miss me as we haven't had any interaction in over a year. My brother in-law said that he only has on his Fb friends list, people that he would be happy to have in his home - good criteria! Okay, add that to the top of my 'To Do' list.
To conclude, Facebook is a tool - to communicate but it can be used by some to distract, to give people who procrastinate (like mwah) an excuse to procrastinate. To deactivate can be a form of controlling the addiction or habit but it can also be a way of the addiction controlling the user - woah, that's 4.22am talking right there. Time to go to sleep as it's almost time for NZ to start the new give way rules.
The Confession booth is now 'CLOSED'.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Faaali sou manatu