Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Old habits die hard


Last Wednesday, I started my first paper for the year.  I had to climb three flights of stairs just to get to the class (exercise for the day) and when I got there, the classroom was bare - we all got kicked out of the room we were supposed to be in and were told to go to another room.  Our lecturer turned up and kicked the other class out of 'our' classroom and so we all trooped back to that room.  A three hour lecture straight after work is not my cup of tea but I have no choice and I want to pass this paper.  So why the heck is my age-old habit of 'procrastination' rearing its ugly head again?

Well, it's a habit and this is one I can do without.  Even the act of blogging is a form of procrastination - I know it so well, it's the only time that laundry and housework just seem sooooo attractive!  I mean, how can I possibly open that expensive textbook to read the required chapters when I have all these clothes to fold/iron/wash/refold/rewash/dry/list on Trademe etc...?  Now is the perfect time to cook those bulk meals so that my family won't be left starving when I am away from home hitting those books, taking those notes etc...  If I vacuum the house now just after midnight, I 'll be saving myself a job tomorrow.  Yes, that's how my brain works when it's study time - crazy, I know.  Sad but true.

Anyway, I am going to publish this post and open that textbook to do the readings because if I don't - I will be unprepared for class and will risk looking like an idiot if I can't answer questions tomorrow.  If I don't do the readings now I am only going to make life harder for myself and will make achieving my goal of passing with a decent grade nothing but a dream.

2 comments:

  1. Haha ...gosh suga, u remind me of ....me with the procrastinating thing....shocking!! All the best and will tell you off if you start posting entries prolifically...it means yours really avoiding the Readings....good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malo Goddess! Well, I got the readings done okay, whether I actually understood the content is another blog post altogether ha ha. Went to class and contributed like there was no tomorrow - I hate those awkward silences when the lecturer asks a question and NOBODY volunteers an answer. If I'm not blogging every day, it's because I'm doing laundry, housework, painting the house, mowing the lawns - in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete

Faaali sou manatu