Saturday, July 21, 2012

My 3 worst fears

What do I fear the most?  Besides needing to depend on public transport and parallel parking in front of a crowd? Lots of things.  Here are my three worst fears.
1. Losing a child
If you are a parent or a guardian and have ever lost a child in a public place, you will know what I mean.  When my daughter was 3 years old, I went shopping with her at our local mall.  My mother and two younger sisters were with us as well.  My daughter went off with her Nana so I went into a different store to look at something.  I came out of the store and saw my mum standing in front of another store but she was alone.  I asked her where my girl was and she said that she thought that she was with me! I looked around the mall and started calling her name, asking people if they had seen a little girl on her own.  All the worst things that could happen to a child on her own filled my head and I felt like crying.  My sisters came running and they went into some shops and found her in a nearby shop looking at toys.  What a relief! I hugged her so tightly she complained I was squashing her lol. 

2.Natural disasters
I am always worried that a natural disaster will strike and that I will be far away from my children when it happens.  When I have nightmares about tsunami or flooding etc. I find myself always trying to save my children.  The biggest worry for me is an earthquake followed by a tsunami.  As we live in Wellington, there is a real possibility that it could happen one day if the huge tremors we have had lately are anything to go by.  I really feel for those who have been affected by such events, especially if they have lost loved ones.

3. Singing in public
I have to confess here that I can't sing.  The best I can do is to join in with the family when we sing pese lotu (hymns) at home for devotions but singing solo is something I don't ever want to do.   I think that if people were to hear me sing, they would list hearing me sing as one of their worst fears.  I would put public speaking as one of my fears too but as someone who spends every working day speaking to big groups of people, it would seem a bit silly.  I do have a fear of public speaking but it's a case of 'Feel the fear and do it anyway'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faaali sou manatu